Soft & Shiny Review

  Ever since I picked up a skein of Loops & Threads Soft & Shiny on a whim, I've been waiting for the perfect project to test it out. It looked like a super-catchy yarn to frog, so I didn't want to go playing with it for no reason. The project has finally been put to the works, and after just a few squares I can confidently give you my opinion about working with it.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  To be nice, the first thing I can mention is the feature that caught my eye: It looks so soft and shiny. Especially in this grey color, the yarn has an almost-metallic sheen to it. The result when worked up reflects light to give the solid color some dimension. The name of this yarn is no lie! It is definitely both soft and shiny.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  Unfortunately, that's where the good points stop. After my fiasco with Facets by the same brand, I noticed some similarities with this lighter-weight yarn. (I don't usually compare yarns in reviews, but I will be doing it this time.) The spin seems to be a little loose, making it prone to splitting. And the fluffiness of that loose spin gets caught on itself, indeed making ripping back more of a pain than it needs to be. Yup, very similar. What I wonder is - Will it be the same disaster as Facets when it comes to washing?

  Typically, I'll start with whatever hook size might be recommended on the label. For this 100% acrylic worsted weight (4) yarn, a 4 mm hook is called for. After struggling with splitting just through the beginning chain of five, I switched to a larger hook. This made the problem worse and I found some luck with using a smaller 3.75 mm instead.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  I'm a little doubtful about that "worsted" part... It looks like worsted. It feels like worsted from the skein. But once it's on the hook, it works up more like DK (3) weight. I'd call it a light-worsted. That loose spin seems to give the yarn room to squish down and become smaller than it appears. I tested this square pattern with the usual acrylic worsted I use and the same hook size. The motif turned out to be almost an inch bigger than the ones I'm making with Soft & Shiny!

  I don't want to bring the other yarn into the picture because it's in no way similar to what we have here and not really fair to compare (it's one of my two favorites so if you know me, you know it). However, the results proved that this is surely a light-weight worsted weight. The pattern turned out stiff as a board when worked up in that other yarn with this small hook; the open chain spaces were barely visible. Soft & Shiny produced a delicate square that didn't compare to any of my "everyday" worsted weights.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  Now, my friends, let's bring in another yarn... This yarn's competitor needs to be put to the test. I have to be blunt and say there's no doubt this yarn is a pure knock-off of Caron Simply Soft. That's why I bought it. Again, from the skein itself: Soft & Shiny feels softer and looks shinier than Simply Soft.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  And remember - We're talking about from the skein, not when worked up. Both yarns appear to be the same weight. Holding a strand of each at the same time, you couldn't tell the difference other than from softness... Well, you can feel that Simply Soft has a much tighter twist than Soft & Shiny.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  Now, forget the feel; let's get technical. The actual width of Soft & Shiny (grey) is a little thicker than Simply Soft (blue). However, Simply Soft has more wraps per inch (wpi) than Soft & Shiny. When you get down to the nitty gritty science of yarn, these two don't compare one bit! Simply Soft might look like the lighter weight yarn to the eyes, but Soft & Shiny is less dense when it comes to fiber content.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  The loose spin may give the appearance of a thicker yarn, but keep in mind that it's just empty space between the fiber. That empty space compresses under tension, so you don't get the same results as with a tighter-spun yarn. Same hook; same pattern again:

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  Working the motif again with Simply Soft produced closer results than my other worsted-weight yarn. Close, but still not the same. I quite fell in love with this combination of colors while comparing Soft & Shiny to its competitor, and had an idea to use them together in a project. Now I know that if I attempt it, I'll have to change hook sizes to get the same gauge from Simply Soft.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  Comparing texture once worked up: They look exactly the same (other than gauge). Both have that slight bit of fuzz, but Soft & Shiny wins at being softer. I've had plenty of experience with (machine) washing and drying Simply Soft in the past, never having any problems other than a few loose ends popping out. I'm skeptical that Soft & Shiny will turn out the same. Then again, perhaps that opinion is influenced by it's similarities to Facets.

yarn, review, Soft & Shiny, Loops & Threads, Michaels, acrylic, worsted weight

  As for that project with these colors combined: I found (almost) the same blue available from Soft & Shiny. Even though I do have a desire to be able to wash and wear these yarns together to put them to the ultimate test, I'm not sure I want to fight with scoring the correct gauge out of two different weights. Although my original opinion was to leave this yarn behind me and never buy another skein, I just might have to get some of that blue to finish the pattern.

  And if you ask why I'm so eager to turn my back on Soft & Shiny, I'll tell you the honest truth: Price $$$. Loops & Threads yarns can only be purchased through Michaels stores. Caron Simply Soft is available there and at Walmart (sometimes, ugh), Joann, and from multiple online sources.

  Disregarding the price from other stores, I compared cost just at Michaels. Soft & Shiny is currently $3.99 for 6 oz/ 311 yards. Simply Soft has now been reduced to $2.49 for 6 oz/ 315 yards (smaller skeins in Heathers). Simply Soft is known for splitting as it is, and Soft & Shiny is ten times worse with a gauge that doesn't match any other yarn. Should I ever pay more for a bigger headache that's available in less colors? I think not.

Happy Crocheting!

PS- I do always feel bad when I have to give such a harsh review, but it's the truth. Since this is now two yarns in a row from this company that I'd rather not use again, I would like to steer you in the direction of some of their good yarns:

  • A great replacement for Facets is Charisma. It can't really compare in texture or colors, but you get a great fast-working bulky (5) acrylic that holds up well to washing with a slight amount of fuzz - And no "cotton candy" pull-apart spots. Still a bit prone to splitting, I find it best to work with a smaller hook than recommended. The downfall is that Charisma's 3.5 oz/ 109 yard skeins disappear quickly into a project. But to combat that problem, the price has now been reduced to $2 a ball.  (I currently have a WIP using a bigger hook than recommended - I've found that making a conscious effort to loosen my tension helps with splitting, and you can stretch the yarn a bit father with a larger hook. Win!)

  • Looking for a worsted weight like Soft & Shiny? (But obviously not the same gauge, lol.) Impeccable might not have that fuzzy kind of softness, but it has durability to make up for that. Available in a large assortment of solids and interesting variegated shades (most of which are usually unavailable in my local store), this is a yarn you just can't go wrong with. It works up well without splitting and takes washing like an old-time rug yarn, but lacks the prickly stiffness of something so durable. And on top of all that softness, strength, and broad color palette, now this yarn is also only $2 per 4.5 oz/ 277 yard skein!? (I think I just found the right colors for a long-envisioned project, too.) Okay, see you later! I have to go shopping now.

😀 


Comments

  1. Thank you for this review! One thing that would be helpful is to talk about the piling of each yarn. I crocheted a pair of gloves with Caron's simply soft, and the pilling is godawful-I've only worn the gloves for two months, and it looks as if its been dragged down a long road. And I am constantly cutting flyaways. Definitely not a yarn to use on clothing items that will get a lot of wear. Now I am knitting a shawl with Soft and Shiny, but I am afraid of the same thing happening with it (it is a present for somebody who is rather rough with their clothing). Could you do a test on the pilling and make/update this review?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could help you out with some photos, but I think the project I made with this yarn got lost along with the house in a hurricane... Haven't seen it in a while.
      However, I can tell you from memory that this yarn has most of the same properties as Simply Soft and washes just the same. Here's some tips that might help:
      Hand wash only, cold water only. (But I know someone who is known to be rough on clothing will probably disregard these instructions!) Use a mild, sulfate-free soap like baby shampoo. And never put in it the dryer! Gently roll it in a towel to absorb most of the moisture, then lay flat or hang to dry.
      Heat and agitation are the two things that will destroy it fast. I have washed items made from both Simply Soft and Soft & Shiny in the washer on delicate cycle, but only do so with a few items in the load. I had an accident with a shirt made of Simply Soft... It got thrown into a big load of mixed clothes on regular cycle and put into the dryer. It looked like somebody killed a Muppet when it came out and I spent a good amount of time cleaning purple fuzz out of the lint trap :)
      Good luck! Shawls don't (usually) see as much abuse as gloves, so with some care your project should be fine.

      Delete
  2. I've been looking to place a review on the 'Loops and Threads' Soft and Shiny yarn! It is my first time working with it and I already know that it will be a major go-to in my future projects. It is so easy to work with, the yarn rarely gets caught in my crochet hook as I work which is a common problem I experienced with other yarns. This yarn flows smoothly and has not given me any unnecessary hand pains as other yarns do. I definitely recommend this yarn as it is great for many projects and will make your crocheting so much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, working with this yarn for the first time . I couldn't get the Caron Simply Soft in the colour that I wanted for the project. I knew that it would might be a snag issue looking at it and as you said wouldn't tolerate much frogging. It is a bit "fuzzy" because of the loose weave but it sure feels nice to work with. So smooth and slippery, I could fly through the stitches only you can't because it will split..lol! So, gentle, mindful crocheting and all is well. I am making a shawl as a gift and I am confident it will look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some of the ombre thread, and the packaging said 5.5mm crochet hook. I was so mad when I found out it was the wrong size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, this is how some of us that started out with just one crochet hook have come to own a set (or five)! You never can trust the label... Always test.

      From gauge to washing instructions... ALWAYS test... I've learned that the hard way. :(

      Sorry about your frustrations!

      Delete
  5. Hi thank you for the review! I purchased the silver fox yarn and made a beautiful scarf for my friend. I would love to add some tassels but because the yarn is so slippery and smooth, I'm not sure that the typical knot tassels will work (I don't know if the knot will hold). Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more experience, but I've only *tried* making tassels maybe twice in my life... Unless anyone else can offer some help here, the best advice I could give would be to make a sample piece, then wash it, throw it around some, maybe tie it to the dog's collar (I'm only half kidding) and give it a hard time to see what happens.
      If it holds up to that, then make your tassels in the traditional way.

      I'm sure there had to be somebody out there that has a hack for making a more-secure tassel/fringe, but I'm not coming up with anything useful in a search.

      Delete
    2. For slippery materials, I find that taking a matching polyester thread (like Gutermann) in a buttonhole twist, and doing the first few wrappings with that and tying it off with a constrictor type of knot, and then finishing wrapping over the thread will make it stay securely. The thread bites into the yarn and provides extra security.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your review. The gauge was stressing me out! I was asked to make something for a baby with this yarn and could't find a pattern or matching gauge that I could figure out. I switched to smaller knitting needles and it was way better. It really does knit closer to a #3 weight. Your review helped a lot and made me feel better because I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My issue is that soft & shiny has these absolutely beautiful color ways that simply soft does not even approach. Having said that, s&s gets frustrating when trying to take these gorgeous variegated color ways and trying to match up solids to go along with them…the purple and gray “baroque” color way does not match up to either of the grays or the light purple or the dark purple solids, they are close, but just a tich off enough that they can’t really work well together enough to make a nice combination. The “party” color way does work with the royal blue and the red, and I am making a fabulous shawl out of them right now, but trying to find the magenta pink or the buttery yellow is beyond frustrating. The “circus” colorway looks good with the royal blue, but I have not managed to successfully match up any other solid to go with it-the royal blue is not a match, but the variegated is busy enough that it works well enough and my shawl looks wonderful. The “teenage dream” and orchid are almost a match for the lavender in the variegated, but not quite, which is super frustrating and I have not found the aqua or hot pink to see if they are close (these are only available to order and not in stores near me, and I have not done that yet).

    Having said that, my three year old grandson is literally drawn to the bright and happy colors of “circus” and “party” and he just runs his hands over the yarn like it mesmerizes him. I am making him a lovey out of “circus” right now and he is definitely looking forward to it being ready.
    I wish Simply soft would make some color ways that are similarly patterned to these. I did find that using an inline crochet hook helped a lot, my Prym hooks work very well with minimal frustration from splitting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Spam sucks! Your comment will not be visible until approval. Please do not include links in your comment without permission. Thanks!