Thursday, December 29, 2016

A Finished Cowl

  My resolution to get my pile of WIP's off the couch was no empty promise... I've been cleaning / trying to remember why I started that project / finding more yarn / FINISHING things! This is the cowl I was working on in the post "Stay Out of my Stash":

cowl, crochet, granny square, Loops & Threads Facets


  It's been buried on the couch, still needing a few ends woven in. I'm so unhappy with the almost-finished project that I considered throwing it away without finishing it. I loved the square I used so much, and I was eager to share the pattern... But the yarn I chose turned out to be a bad decision. What had been a cool design on paper and in worsted weight yarn became an uneven, puckering mess when made with Facets by Loops & Threads.

  I wanted to further put this yarn to the test, so I didn't throw the project away after all. Perhaps you can see in the first photo how uneven the edges look. My idea of being able to wear it long won't work. Where I thought the project would have lovely drape, it just stretches out of shape. However, it seems like it doesn't look so bad doubled over. Possibly even stylish with a jacket... And there's some cold weather coming for me to test out the warmth of this chunky yarn.

cowl, crochet, yarn, chunky, Loops & Threads, Facets


  BUT. (There's a big "but" here.) The picture above was taken before it got a bath. Let's talk about that testing: The trouble I had with the yarn coming apart while working made me suspicious that it won't hold up to much washing. After just one gentle hand-wash in the sink, I think it's safe to say my theory was correct:

crochet, cowl, yarn, chunky, Loops & Threads, Facets

  The photo above shows the cowl just after wetting it - No agitation yet and just cold water. The fuzzy "halo" of the chunky yarn became a matted mess of cobwebs between the lace.

crochet, cowl, yarn, chunky, Loops & Threads, Facets

  ...And after just a few gentle "swishes" back and forth, those cobwebs became the tangled mess you see above. How horrible would it be if this piece accidentally found its way into the washing machine? Oh! And what if it then made the trip to the dryer?? I'm not willing to risk it with this project. Not yet. I've had some acrylic yarns that make it through the wash fine, despite the label saying "hand-wash only". I don't have any expectations of that happening with this yarn.



  To be fair, I took the final picture after it was dried. The tangled mess fluffed back up a bit, but this cowl already looks worse than a well-worn sweater. The yarn is soft and warm, which makes the end result a big disappointment. With the awesome color play throughout the ball and the diamond texture of the squares, I had hopes that this would end up being my new favorite piece... And a big hit as a free pattern. Now all I have is a desire to make it again with a different yarn. Until then, I'll see if I can enjoy my cowl until it falls apart, and when I try again it will just be more

Happy Crocheting!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Sorry it didn't turn out as planned. I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big disappointment, but I do love the pattern. I'll make a better yarn choice when I try again!

      Delete
  2. Dear Jenny,
    those things I'm truely unhappy with never make it into my wardrobe nor would they make it onto my blog. I would most probably have frogged them long before. This yarn doesn't look like a happy frogger though.
    Maybe it's snug and warm instead and you'll start liking it while wearing...
    Have a lovely day!
    Marjan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjan, you are so right! Frogging a few mistakes left me picking out knots in places the yarn caught. And then there were those spots where the yarn was so loosely spun that it pulled apart like cotton candy... Ugh. I had forgotten the nightmare of ripping this yarn back.
      I think I could like it after wearing it a few times. But I'll always fear washing it.
      You have a lovely day, too!

      Delete
  3. Things I'm unhappy with end up at my local Goodwill, or yarn I don't like - lol. Good for whoever finds it? Maybe. Others may like the yarn or project more than I did. I do try to write about it though because it's good to bring awareness to others. If you had trouble like this with this yarn, I can only imagine I'd have the same and ALL my crocheted pieces go in the washer and dryer - I don't hand wash (Bad Alexandra) - so I appreciate you sharing, but I feel for you with the frustration. It's a pretty looking cowl, can try again. I love Deborah Norvilles Serenity Chunky Yarn - I get mine at JoAnn's, and it's on sale for $1.99 a skein right now! Machine washes and dries just fine. Or perhaps two strands of a worsted weight you have in your stash that you love.
    Best of luck with your cowl!
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I'm loving some of those colors of Serenity... You might have pointed me towards my next yarn to buy. And yay - It's always better on sale! I also like the two-strand idea... That would be a great way to reduce the stash.
      GOOD Alexandra for throwing things in the wash! If I had to hand wash everything I crocheted, I'd have muscles like a bodybuilder. I choose acrylics often because they are (usually) easy to care for.
      I did consider donating the cowl if I end up hating it. I'm just afraid that it would fall apart on whoever gets it. A few more times of washing and wearing might help me make the right decision.

      Delete
  4. How terrible! But it's also a bit comforting to read that I'm not the only one with crochet disapointments :-)
    When I have something like this, I usually give it to my cats and they LOVE to sleep on it. Then I don't have the feeling that I wasted my time :-)
    But I hope your design turns out wonderful with another kind of yarn and I wish you courage for that project!
    Have a very nice day,
    Sigrid x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigrid, that's a great idea! Since I've already washed the cowl a second time and it now looks even worse, I think my kitties would appreciate the soft bed. Thank you - Now I know it won't go to waste!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing that with me because I made a cowl for my daughter out of that yarn and havent sent it yet so I know that it might me a mistake as she has a little boy that is 2 yrs old and our grandson is very busy and being boy may have messy hand etc while shes wearing it all kinds of things going through my mind with her being a new mom of a 2 yr old little boy. I'll make her something else Im so glad you shared that but It is such a shame all your work but maybe you can recover somewhat to wear it somehow. Let us know

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I just read about the cats Thats what I do I give it to the cats and dogs to sleep on and some things go to my grandsons to play with, they use there imagination, the ninja stars ninja headbands etc.. oh the joys of having all boys. our daughter is the oldest of & the rest are all boys and she has a son , ! son has a son, another son has 4 boys and they are all under the age of 6. and to boot we have a 9 yr old. Yes we started over and everyone thinks he belongs to his sister and brothers whomever he happens to be with. Its too funny and we just quit trying to explain it. He's our whole world and our miracle baby and lifesaver of many things..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was saying our daughter is the oldest of 7 and we have 6 boys. sorry about the typo

      Delete
    2. Lol about the age thing... With 15 years between my husband and I, it gets tiring explaining that I'm not his daughter :)
      I hate to see work go to waste... How was your yarn while working? Mine kept pulling apart like cotton candy; as if it wasn't spun correctly. I've read some reviews with the same problem, but others that are raving about how great this yarn is.
      If you didn't have any issues while working with it, then I'd still give your daughter the cowl - But with a warning about it's possibilities. Tell her she's a tester and it should be put up to the full abuse of a small child ;)
      After the second wash, it looked horribly ratty but it survived, and it is still so soft. Maybe it could end up being that perfect at-home-only/mom-accessory to wear on those days you don't feel good/just want to be comfortable.

      Delete

Okay, I took up enough space - Now it's your turn!
I welcome your comments, questions, and feedback.