Mess or Masterpiece?

  Today, I need your help making a decision. I started a new project that has left me both eager to continue and doubtful of whether I should. And I know, I'm not supposed to be starting anything else. But you know how that goes!

  In a recent yarn review, I mentioned another yarn from my stash. Once upon a time I started buying this yarn while it was on sale, planning on making a blanket. (This isn't part of the "From the Stash" series, btw; this one is purely my fault.) The sale ended before I scored enough skeins for the project. Mentioning the yarn in that review made me start thinking, and I went to dig it out of the mess.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


  I like to play with yarns that have variegated or multi-colors. I love seeing the different ways the color can play out; trying new ways to get designs from it. Do you ever do that? It doesn't always end in a successful pattern, but it's something quiet for me to do when I'm bored or tired of everything else. Just pull a few yards from the skein, make some stitches, rip it back, try again with different stitches. None of it ever has a purpose other than to amuse me.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


  In that review, I highlighted the durability of Impeccable yarn. The pile you see has taken ripping back a lot of times now, and it's no worse for the wear. Perhaps this color would be difficult, but I think this would be a great yarn for beginners to practice with. It rarely splits, rips back smoothly, and it's easy-care for the finished project, too.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


  But, let's not get sidetracked any longer... This isn't a yarn review, I'm here for an opinion! This time, my playing around produces something with potential. I made something that I think I like. It's just a little swatch right now, and I would like to create it in full and write a pattern. But it's just one of those things I can't make a decision about. I thought I should bring my problem here for your help.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion

  I will say that if I do continue with it, then I'll be selling the pattern on Ravelry. It won't be free here. BUT! If you're a Ravelry member and you leave a comment here to help, then I'll gift you the pattern when/if I get it done (it will be a scarf). And remember, that's if I get it done... I just can't make up my mind whether I've created a masterpiece or a mess.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


  It's a pretty interesting design that I hope you'll enjoy working. It starts with the middle first, made as one long "chain" of textured stitches without a true beginning chain. The rest is created in the round as a border. I think it's fun to watch it go from "what is that?" to "ooo, lacy scarf". At first, I looked at my design and loved it. But the more I studied it, I thought it looks a little messy from different angles.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion

  So the questions are: Does it look like a mess to you? Do I continue with the pattern? I'll possibly be changing the ends to something less-pointy. Maybe I'll leave it like it is. Would it be cool to add some fringe to the ends as-is, or would it look like curtain tassels hanging in a group from the point? Maybe no fringe at all, because the design is pretty bold as it is. I know, I know... Somebody is going to tell me it's my opinion as the designer, and I should create what I want... This is one of those times I just can't decide what I want. I'd love to hear your opinions.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


 The promise I'm making to you may be a little weird... What if you leave a comment telling me you hate it, then I make it anyway? Am I supposed to stick to my word and gift you a pattern you don't like? *Sigh* Yes, it will be a hard promise to fulfill in that case. But if you do want to see this pattern finished, then don't forget to leave a comment on this post with your opinion! Having you all here in one place will make it easy for me to track everyone down when it comes time for your gift. If you don't have a Google profile and want to leave the comment anonymously, you'll need to drop your Ravelry name in the comment.



Happy Crocheting!

PS - Can you believe the hook size I'm using to create this with worsted weight yarn? The stitch clusters get too tight with a smaller hook, so I had to go this big. I was afraid it would cause the stitches to be too loose, but so far it's only caused a fast-working pattern. I may even break out the big plastic hooks and see if I can go one size bigger for a super-speedy project. But that all depends on your opinions!

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion

Comments