Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Mess or Masterpiece?

  Today, I need your help making a decision. I started a new project that has left me both eager to continue and doubtful of whether I should. And I know, I'm not supposed to be starting anything else. But you know how that goes!

  In a recent yarn review, I mentioned another yarn from my stash. Once upon a time I started buying this yarn while it was on sale, planning on making a blanket. (This isn't part of the "From the Stash" series, btw; this one is purely my fault.) The sale ended before I scored enough skeins for the project. Mentioning the yarn in that review made me start thinking, and I went to dig it out of the mess.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


  I like to play with yarns that have variegated or multi-colors. I love seeing the different ways the color can play out; trying new ways to get designs from it. Do you ever do that? It doesn't always end in a successful pattern, but it's something quiet for me to do when I'm bored or tired of everything else. Just pull a few yards from the skein, make some stitches, rip it back, try again with different stitches. None of it ever has a purpose other than to amuse me.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


  In that review, I highlighted the durability of Impeccable yarn. The pile you see has taken ripping back a lot of times now, and it's no worse for the wear. Perhaps this color would be difficult, but I think this would be a great yarn for beginners to practice with. It rarely splits, rips back smoothly, and it's easy-care for the finished project, too.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


  But, let's not get sidetracked any longer... This isn't a yarn review, I'm here for an opinion! This time, my playing around produces something with potential. I made something that I think I like. It's just a little swatch right now, and I would like to create it in full and write a pattern. But it's just one of those things I can't make a decision about. I thought I should bring my problem here for your help.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion

  I will say that if I do continue with it, then I'll be selling the pattern on Ravelry. It won't be free here. BUT! If you're a Ravelry member and you leave a comment here to help, then I'll gift you the pattern when/if I get it done (it will be a scarf). And remember, that's if I get it done... I just can't make up my mind whether I've created a masterpiece or a mess.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


  It's a pretty interesting design that I hope you'll enjoy working. It starts with the middle first, made as one long "chain" of textured stitches without a true beginning chain. The rest is created in the round as a border. I think it's fun to watch it go from "what is that?" to "ooo, lacy scarf". At first, I looked at my design and loved it. But the more I studied it, I thought it looks a little messy from different angles.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion

  So the questions are: Does it look like a mess to you? Do I continue with the pattern? I'll possibly be changing the ends to something less-pointy. Maybe I'll leave it like it is. Would it be cool to add some fringe to the ends as-is, or would it look like curtain tassels hanging in a group from the point? Maybe no fringe at all, because the design is pretty bold as it is. I know, I know... Somebody is going to tell me it's my opinion as the designer, and I should create what I want... This is one of those times I just can't decide what I want. I'd love to hear your opinions.

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion


 The promise I'm making to you may be a little weird... What if you leave a comment telling me you hate it, then I make it anyway? Am I supposed to stick to my word and gift you a pattern you don't like? *Sigh* Yes, it will be a hard promise to fulfill in that case. But if you do want to see this pattern finished, then don't forget to leave a comment on this post with your opinion! Having you all here in one place will make it easy for me to track everyone down when it comes time for your gift. If you don't have a Google profile and want to leave the comment anonymously, you'll need to drop your Ravelry name in the comment.



Happy Crocheting!

PS - Can you believe the hook size I'm using to create this with worsted weight yarn? The stitch clusters get too tight with a smaller hook, so I had to go this big. I was afraid it would cause the stitches to be too loose, but so far it's only caused a fast-working pattern. I may even break out the big plastic hooks and see if I can go one size bigger for a super-speedy project. But that all depends on your opinions!

yarn, Loops & Threads, Impeccable, WIP, work in progress, scarf, opinion

15 comments:

  1. Hi, Jenny-
    I hate the yarn (color) so have to really fight to look past it. I think the structure of the stitches is interesting and am curious to see how it turns out. To my eye, the color is what makes it seem messy- this design seems like it would work better in one color or, at least in closely related shades of one color. Again, with the yarn pattern, a tassel seems like it would be too much, but maybe in one color it would be fine. I think the stitch pattern calls out for smaller gauge yarn (sock, or lighter). I love looking at people's design process, so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen! I agree that the color is a bit(?) loud for such a bold stitch pattern. But this was only a test... I shall be looking for something more quiet from the stash.

      Delete
    2. Hey, Jenny-
      I hope you're still monitoring this thread. I have a bunch of yarn (I think it's a Joann house brand) with a similar dye pattern but in all blues and greens. My mom bought it for me to make my son a blanket, but I didn't like the way the colors pooled (it looks like camo to me). It's also worsted weight, and son is a furnace and wanted something lighter. I think there are at least 10 skeins of the stuff.

      Would you like it? I can email you a pic of it, if you like. Then if you wanted it you could send me your address and I'll send it your way, I promised my spouse not to buy any more yarn until I work through most of my stash; moving this yarn to more appreciative hooker would help with that.

      Delete
    3. My goodness, Kathleen! That is a very generous offer and I'm extremely happy to accept. :) You can email crochetisthewayblog@gmail.com
      (I sometimes have trouble with that account, so there may be a bit of a delay in my response.)
      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. I really like it and hope you do continue! I do think the busyness of the variegated yarn is what's making you wonder if it looks a bit messy. But I love the yarn. The colors remind me of water flowing over pebbles and I'd really like to see the completed scarf. I agree with your hunch to try a larger hook (was thinking that before you said it) because a scarf should have great drape IMO and it seems a bit stiff as is. I'd vote no fringe. I'd love to try it out if you do decide to finish it - thanks for the offer! -Julie (Slambrosia on Ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, the color reminded me of the same thing, and that's what made me buy it! You're absolutely right; the pattern came out a bit stiff even with the size K hook. I may switch to a lighter weight yarn as Kathleen suggested, or try again with that large hook. (I kinda like the super-fast results of the bigger hook.)
      Thanks for your help!

      Delete
  3. Dear Jenny,
    frankly said, I find it hard to look past the yarn. It still might turn out fine when you've done some more or when you try it with a single-coloured yarn. You could go for some extras (fringe/tassels/etc.) when using a single-coloured yarn, don't know whether that would be any good when using that multi-coloured one - I do think it might be a little too much.
    The pattern reminds of a celtic knot, so I do like it, though I'd love to have a look at a single-coloured version.
    No big help - I know, but you'll do it just the way you think and know to be right!
    Happy crocheting,
    Marjan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjan, the more I look at it, I do see the color as the problem. I love the blue-greens of it so much that I wasn't noticing the problem at first: Too loud.
      I'm thinking no tassels, too. The stitches have so much character that I agree it may be too much.
      You have been a very big help! I was going to try it out with a two-color yarn, but now I'm leaning towards that solid color.
      Have a lovely day, and I hope you're still feeling better!

      Delete
  4. I love variegated yarn and I recognise the thing you do with it just for fun ( to see how it turns out ).
    In my opinion, this yarn asks for a more simple stitch.
    Although this pattern with this yarn could become better when you continue... I'm not sure.
    I agree with Marjan that it would be nice to see your pattern in one colour.
    Perhaps try it out and see what you like best?
    But the yarn is beautiful and I do hope you'll still be making something with it.
    Wishing you a great weekend,
    Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sigrid! As soon as I find the right yarn, I'm going to try again in a solid color.
      There are so many ways that variegated can turn out in a stitch, so I'm glad I'm not the only one that plays! Have you ever seen what happens when you use yarn (like this) with short color changes and tall stitches? https://crochetistheway.blogspot.com/2014/05/how-to-taller-crochet-stitches.html
      It's kind of weird/neat at the same time. I may try this yarn out with a project using those tall stitches. But it doesn't belong in this pattern.
      I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too!

      Delete
  5. I like the Yarn in a simple stitch, maybe a "N" hook. Try it in a Cowl. Like the pattern, but in a solid as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! I like your idea; I think this yarn would look lovely with a simple stitch for a cowl. But it's just too much here, and I'm still looking for the right yarn. (Tried that bigger hook out on some scrap, and it came out great!)

      Delete
  6. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the yarn colors and the pattern so far. It reminds me of something Celtic in design, which I love. I am very much looking forward to how this is going to work out. So far,like you, I could see this as a blanket,or maybe even a throw or a rectangle shawl. You are very creative and I enjoy your honesty when you write. It is quite refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tasha! I would totally love to turn this design into a blanket because it would be so EASY to start the beginning. (But first, just a scarf, lol.) I've got my choice of yarns narrowed down and hopefully I'll make a decision soon.

      Delete
    2. Hey Tasha, the pattern is ready! I was unable to find you on Ravelry... If you want to keep your username private, you can email crochetisthewayblog@gmail.com.

      Delete

Comment moderation is now enabled because of those nasty spammers - Sorry!
Your comment will go through after you click "publish", but it won't be visible until approved.