Crochet Pattern Roundup - Squares



  Please, please please read this before you skip to the patterns, because I want your help. This is my first of what will hopefully be a new kind of pattern roundup - A roundup that will continue to grow!



  Here's how it will go: Designers, you can benefit! My roundups will all be based on a motif, stitch, technique, or whatever I'm obsessed with at the time. (I know, I'm selfish, right?) Then, I'll share with you some free patterns that go along with the theme. And after that, it's your turn to hit the comment section and shamelessly drop a link to your own design that fits the category! You don't have to follow me on social media or subscribe to anything (but that would be cool if you did). You don't even have to leave a comment, just a link if you wish. But it would be nice if you don't do it anonymously, so I know you're adding your own pattern. After I check it out, I'll go back and add your pattern to the roundup!



  Well, designers? Does it sound like some free exposure for your free patterns? You don't have to be a big-time blogger or famous designer. As long as your pattern fits the category, I'll add it to the post. When I get a group of at least 5 or 10 new ones, I'll re-share the post on social media to keep views from dying out.



Let's get started with the first one!


  It seems like I'm always on some kind of trend. Lately, it's been all about joining crocheted squares. Mom's Afghan, the Grannies in a Love Triangle squares and shawl, a fabric scrap rug... And I have even more square projects in progress! I recently shared a tutorial for how to join squares with the Love Knot, and a diagram for how to join with one seam

roundup, crochet, squares, free crochet patterns

  Although I *love* how the Love Knot join looked along with my lacy squares, I started envisioning what this stitch would look like with different combinations of texture and stitches. I started scouring other crochet blogs for free patterns that I thought would go great with this join, and here's what I've come up with so far:

*These are in no particular order, I just add them as I find them. All patterns you see here come from sites with readily available permissions, or I've asked the designer. If you include a link to your pattern, you will be giving me permission to use your photo in this roundup. All patterns will be credited to their designers.


http://marie-lucienne.blogspot.com/2016/06/scrappy-flower-grannies-II.html
I loved this square so much when I saw it, I actually waited to post this roundup until Marjan had the pattern ready. There's a great tutorial, too! Imagine using up your yarn scraps making the flowers, then turning the squares into a delicate, summery afghan with a lacy joining stitch.


http://beacrafter.com/crochet-angel-heart-granny-square/
This adorable design was adapted from an applique created by awesome designer Maz Kwok. Wouldn't it be so cute to combine the airy Love Knot join with a flying heart square? 


http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.ca/2015/09/cuatro-esquinas-de-abuela-afghan-square.html
I love the combined textures of this square, and it's easy, too! Hop on over to check out the pattern and see all the tutorials Alexandra has available to help you get it done. Do you think this square would look good with a lacy join, or would it be too much texture? I can't wait to find out!


I didn't get permission from Marie of Underground Crafter to use a photo... But I couldn't leave this one out! The vintage Irish crochet look of this square would become even more delicate with the use of a lacy join. Personally, I think it would make a beautiful wedding gift!



http://www.petalstopicots.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/wm4-28-31.jpg
Kara designed this peace sign square for a tween or teen, but it would be great for anyone that's a hippie at heart. And what goes right along with peace? Love! This square would be so groovy combined with the Love Knot join.


http://crochetncrafts.com/a-fan-of-bullions-12-square/
Oh my goodness, this square is just a beautiful bounty of bullions! I bet the lacy Love Knot join would go perfectly with the mesh around the center of this square. Rhelena designed this square for a CAL that I wasn't able to track down... Aw... But this pattern is available and it would make an heirloom of an afghan!


http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2016/01/3d-crochet-flower-granny-square.html
Sarah has included a tutorial that should help even the newest of beginners get this done! Designed for a Moogly CAL, this square looks awesome along with the other squares in its series... But once again, I'm envisioning a flowery square combined with my lacy join for a summer garden afghan.


http://www.purfylle.com/2015/12/eivors-granny-square-pattern.html
I remembered this pattern just before publishing, so I don't didn't have permission for a photo yet... But you see it now! I had to include this vintage square recreation from Purfylle. Stella did an awesome job working out the pattern from photos, and included a tutorial, too!

-  -  -  -  -

  So, there's my picks for squares that would look great with my lacy Love Knot seam. But you can join them any way you want! If you don't see your pattern here, please don't be offended. I can't spend all day getting lost in the playground of free patterns on the web, because I'll never finish all the WIP's on my list! But remember, it's not too late to get added. Just drop a link to your FREE crochet pattern in the comments, and it will be included soon.    

  Not a designer? Help out bloggers if you love their patterns! Follow the link to your favorite square and be sure to let the designer know how much you love it! We love feedback, you know...

Happy Crocheting!


Comments