Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Lost Crochet Files - 2






  I love how as I go through my old crochet pictures, I can find a bit of a theme. This time: Squares! One of these is a simple project I remember well, and I need to get around to recreating it. The other... Humph. The other one still leaves me steaming about that chewed-up notebook.




  Let it go... Just let it go. It's hard to let it go. Especially because Notebook-eating Dog's owner has caused me more trouble than just this... But, I'm trying to turn my attitude around so I can get this mess back on track. I mean, it's not a total loss, right? I'm more experienced now! I can take a look at these pictures and at least get an idea of how to make it happen again. So, let it go... Let's get on with it!




  How awesome is this square? Well, that's just a rough-draft of it really, but you can get the concept of where I was going with it. This project was in beginning design stages, one square worked up in yarn and a pattern filled with adjustment-making notes, and the other squares nothing but scribbles on paper. It would have been a garden-themed afghan, full of butterflies and flowers and such. Now, it's just a random puny square, with missing notes and nowhere to go. Finding this picture inspired me to try again sometime soon. I can recreate it. And it will be even better.





  I think this was one of the last projects I was working on before the dog ate my homework. As for the rest of the squares I had in mind for the afghan, they're no more than distant memories. Now I wish I had at least worked up some rough-draft squares in yarn, instead of jotting down ideas on paper. But how was I to know my friend was leaving me with a pattern-eating dog? I can wish and hope and complain, but it's not bringing my ideas back.




  You can't go wrong with a classic granny square, and I'm (re)thinking of using them as a filler in the "garden" afghan. But for now, how about a few in plarn? I remember the birth of this next pattern... My mom can't pick up a lot of weight, and the cashiers at the grocery store are always overloading her bags. Even though she kept asking them not to, they would still pack in too much, double-bagging a dozen or more cans at a time. I decided to make Mom a smaller reusable bag, so the cashiers can't put too much stuff in it.







  But just in case, I made the bottom out of two squares sewn together, for extra thickness. And I made it with an extra-thick handle, so it would be more comfortable for Mom to carry a little more weight. The problem isn't muscles as much as joints, so the extra padding helps. Now that my hands are wrecked with rheumatoid arthritis, I think I should make a few more of these for myself!




  The only thing is... *Sigh* It's the reason I have trouble working with other people's patterns. It's like I just have to break the rules, change the form, think outside the box... Whatever it is, it's annoying, because I can't stop myself from changing my own patterns, too. Instead of making an extra square for the bottom, I think I'd rather cut the material extra-thick or use two strands for one square, work out the gauge, and find the right hook to make it match. Maybe even change the stitch so it's a tighter weave.






And of course, it will be a free pattern :)


Soooo... How about some opinions? Since you're able to make the plarn any thickness you desire, would you bother with cutting the material wider? Or would you rather cut all the material the same and use two strands?


I also have another question... At one time, I was going to make a bunch of reusable grocery bags, and take an extra with me when I shop. Our Walmart has those revolving bag carousels, so I was going to leave the extra bag for the next person in line. Everybody I knew at the time said the idea was "dumb", and they wouldn't take one. Would you? Did I have mean, unimaginative friends, or is it a weird idea?


Will there be a "Plarn Bombing" for Earth Day?




Happy Crocheting!




13 comments:

  1. In regards to the plarn, definitely same size strips, double them up to crochet the bottom. In regards to friends telling you your idea is crazy, so what, lol! A little craziness is good for the soul! I would certainly take a crocheted plarn bag home with me if there cashier told me that I could have it. Anyway, my Grandmama always said that idle hands were the devil's workshop and she led by example by always having some handwork close by for those idle moments. Now, I'm not going to weigh in on the devil or his workshop but I will say that I think having something to keep your hands busy beats the dickens out of those same hands dipping into a bag of chips or cookies or cruising Amazon and buying junk you don't need! Am I right? Lol! Crochet on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Kim! I've also heard "idle hands breed idle minds", but sometimes I think I'd love 5 minutes just to sit and think, lol!

      I think I'll get busy on some of those bags. I'm interested to know if I'll start seeing my projects around town!

      Delete
  2. Lovely square indeed !!!
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! Hope you enjoy your week, too!

      Delete
  3. I love your crochet work! I co-host a blog party on Mondays called Cooking and Crafting with J & J Link Up. I would love to have you join us at Julie's Lifestyle. Thanks.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great, thanks! I'll go check it out now!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jenny, I love this idea of a shopping bag made out of granny squares!
    Thanks for joining and sharing this with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    We hope to see you again and enjoy the week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for inviting me! Your link party is wonderful and I'll be sure to be back!

      Delete
  5. So pretty! :) I love how this turned out!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! See you there next time!

      Delete
  6. I think over the last year you would have gotten one or the other answer from as to double strand or cutting thicker. Now I'd just use a different stitch. But for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. So I shall go and find out and pop back later with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it had some fancy name but the tutorial I used has been removed from youtube. It was just alternating rows of front post and back post double crochet.

      Delete
    2. That would make a nice strong fabric - great idea. I've been working with a few experiments, but every stitch still stretches a bit under weight. It's actually the material, not the stitch. I hate that I have to work out the separate gauge, so now I'm thinking of making the whole bag in thicker material instead of just the bottom. At least plarn is free... I can experiment all I want!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoyed your time, and feel free to ask questions.