Join multiple squares together for an afghan or lapghan. Patterns for coordinating squares coming soon. Finished size is 8" x 8" (20 cm x 20 cm)
Worsted weight (4) acrylic yarn
I'm using a combination of Caron One Pound in black (color A) and Red Heart Super Saver in burgundy (color B)
Crochet hook size I/9 - 5.50MM
Tapestry/yarn needle or smaller hook to weave in ends
4" x 4" (10 cm x 10 cm) = 14 rows, 12 sc
Chain 1 at beginning of row always counts as 1 single crochet.
For help with surface crochet, click here.
*While working on this project in low light, I realized it may be difficult for some to determine the proper placement of stitches. For rose, everything after step 5 is mostly done by sight. If you have a stitch more or less, that's fine. Alignment is more important than stitch count, however, make sure your work doesn't pull.
Slip stitch (sl st)
Single crochet (sc)
Double crochet (dc)
Directions for square:
To begin, ch 26 with color A.
Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of remaining sts. (25 sc)
Ch 1, turn. 1 sc in each of remaining sts. (25 sc)
Rows 3 - 27 :
Repeat Row 2. Bind off, weave in ends.
Directions for Rose:
With color B, attach yarn behind work with a slip stitch in stitch 13 of Row 14. Remove hook, pull loop through to right side.
1. Slip st to the left of beg st and in one st down. Rotate work 180 degrees, (sl st in st to the left) twice, sl st in one st down. Rotate 180 degrees, sl st in next row up, 1 st to the left. (Sl st in st to the left) twice. 1 sl st in st one row up, to the left. Rotate. Sl st in st one row up, sl st in next row up, 1 st to the left.
2. Ch 2 behind work. Pull up loop 2 sts over. Work a circle of 22 sl sts 1 row away from beg spiral.
3. Pull through, ch 2 behind work, pull through one st over. Work a circle of 29 sc in sts surrounding beg circle.
4. Working in sts of outer circle: *3 sc in first available st, 2 sc in following.* Repeat from * to * up to last st of outer circle.
5. Pick up yarn in front of st, ch 2. Skip first st of inner circle, *3 sc in each of next 4 sts. Remove hook, insert from back to front in < 14th st > of outer circle. Pick up st, pull through.*
Repeat from * to * 5 more times. 3 sc in each of remaining 2 sts.
**After beg < 14th st > refers to counting 14 away from last join in outer row.
*(see note) 6. Pull through. Ch 3 behind work, skip 2 sts to the left in "empty" row, pull through. Work a circle of 16 sc.
7. Working into row of 16 sc: 4 dc in each st (64 dc). Join with a sl st to beg dc.
8. Ch 3, pull through, ch 2 behind work. Pull st through in the st to the right of where the spiral meets itself. Ch 1, 1 sc in same st, 2 sc in next st. Remove hook, align with center of outer petal, insert from back to front of dc, pull st through. *2 sc in each of next 2 sts.** Remove hook, align with center of petal, insert from back to front, pull st through.*
Repeat from * to * 3 more times, from * to ** once.
9. Rotate to work opposite direction around remaining sts of spiral. (1 sc, 1 dc, 1 sc) in each st. Pull through center st.
Bind off, weave in ends.