Tuesday, February 28, 2017

For Him

  The next Granny-Spiration Challenge is coming up soon, so I thought I'd share a little sneak peek along with a granny-inspired quickie I just worked up. It's no coincidence that both projects are made with granny squares; I've been going back to it a lot since starting the Challenge. It is just by chance that both happen to be for a man.


crochet, cotton, granny square, Granny-Spiration Challenge

  The first project was a request by Rip van Winkle. Yes, you read that right: He asked me to crochet him something. This is rare, but it's happened before. As usual, he gave me his input on how it should go, and I'm not happy with the result. But... He's happy with it, so that's all that really matters. I found out that the liquid "soap" (which is actually detergent) that he uses is no good for the infection he's still fighting, so I made him switch to a bar of real soap. This, of course, has caused him to start complaining about the bar soap being mushy because he leaves it on the corner of the tub... *Sigh* At least he asked me to crochet him a soap holder to stop the problem.


crochet, granny square, cotton, soap holder

  We were out losing our minds... Er, I mean shopping at Wal-Mart... We were out anyway, so I picked up one of the four colors of cotton yarn available at the local hell... I mean Wal-Mart on a Sunday. I didn't feel like having to go anywhere else, so I settled on a cone of the color he liked best. The color that has a lot of white in it. For the guy that works with concrete every day. I know it won't be white for long.


crochet, granny square, soap holder, cotton

  I was going to make it with a drawstring enclosure, but I was halfway through seaming it together when he asked me if I could put a button and a loop on it. *Sigh* I don't have any more buttons. I undid the seam and reworked it in in an envelope fashion, adding a loop as I worked around. (I seamed it without breaking off from the square.) Then I crocheted a button by making 10 single crochet in a magic circle, joined, and made 12 more single crochet right over those. It made a "button" thick enough that the loop won't slip off easily.


crochet, granny square, soap holder, cotton

  To finish, I added a 10-chain hanging loop so he can stop complaining about his mushy soap. I used an internet tip a while back and installed an expanding shower curtain rod against the back wall of the shower. A pack of fancy S-hooks later, we have a place for him to hang his washcloth, bath puff, loofah scrubber, and now his soap holder. The man has more bath implements than me and The Kid put together, and he still comes out with concrete on him.


crochet, granny square, soap holder, cotton

  The thing I'm not happy with - but it doesn't matter - is that the pouch is way too big for a bar of soap. I would prefer a soap holder that fits the bar snugly, but he wanted something closer to the size of a washcloth.


crochet, granny square, soap holder, cotton

  Again, it doesn't matter, but I don't like how the top folds over a bit because of the extra material. It's not my soap holder and he got exactly what he asked for, so I'm going to wash my hands of this one and just go work on the now-requested matching washcloth. Yup, it will be a simple granny square.


  Now, my friends, for the sneak peek at something you'll really want to see! No, there's nothing really special about the stitches or the colors of the afghan I'm working on, other than I finally found a use for that horrid green-y Taupe. It will be made of simple granny squares in man-friendly colors. So what will be so exciting about this project that you won't want to miss?

crochet, WIP, work in progress, afghan, man-ghan, granny square

  I think we can all admit that we don't like the inevitable twist that happens as you work a granny in the round. The more rounds you work, the more the center twists as you can see above. But that twist you see in that picture? Yeah, that's not gonna happen anymore!... I've been experimenting. You'll like the results.


Happy Crocheting!

8 comments:

  1. Hello Jenny,
    guess we all know (and hate) this twist. That's why I'm not 100% happy with the placemats I wrote about last week. I thought of a solution, but there were a few other projects keeping me from trying. The solution I thought of did work out fine on another project though, so I'm confident it'll mend the twist on the placemats too.
    BTW: Nice of Rip to show you he does appriciates your crochet!
    Have a great week,
    Marjan
    P.S.: Funny isn't it, I cannot think but traditional grannies anymore either ever since the challenge started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjan, I didn't notice any twist in your placemats! I know you had worked out a solution awhile back by moving some stitches, but the uneven count bothers my OCD tendencies as much as the twist in the traditional granny. What I've worked out is nothing but an optical illusion, and I'm not so sure it would work on something with the shape of those placemats. But it totally works on regular squares.
      Strange... I gave away a project to one of Rip's manly-man friends, and the guy went nuts over it. I already have another project planned for him because of the response. Suddenly Rip doesn't think crochet is so "girly" anymore.
      And that project is made with granny squares, lol. Funny, indeed.

      Delete
  2. Since the moment I knew I was joining the Granny Spiration I'm also obsessed with granny squares :-) Let's start a club! Hahaha! But I'm able to hold myself back and do some other crochet as well, now and then.
    Your soap holder is a good solution for the problem and if he is satisfied, then it's alright!
    I actually like the colours of the last picture... I don't normally choose them, but they look very good together.
    Can't wait for Saturday! Or yes, I can, because my project isn't finished yet!!
    I'm off to my crochet, have a nice day,
    Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Sigrid! There isn't much I've created since joining the challenge that doesn't involve squares or the granny stitch. I've driven myself nuts over designing complicated patterns, and it's refreshing to go back to something simpler.
      I wouldn't normally choose those colors, either. But after trying to clean out/organize the stash, they all ended up in the same pile. Seemed to make sense to use them up on an afghan.
      Haha, I'm behind schedule as well! We all seem to do this each month, but we manage in the end, don't we? Good luck with yours. :)

      Delete
  3. I.Love.Granny.Squares! Lol. Glad you all share my love too :)
    I am curious about the soap savers. Are they just meant to hold your bar soap when you aren't using it? Or can it be used like a loafah with the soap in iy? Does it get icky sitting with wet soap in it? Hehe. I've designed some, but haven't posted yet as I seem to be a newbie, lol.
    Nonetheless, great gift for him :) And even though it's a little bigger than you'd like, could always make a smaller one next time when he wears the original out, or just adjust here and there til you love it.
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, my idea of a soap saver is to use it as a loofah with the soap in it... But when I made one for The Kid, she complained it was too hard to get the soap out of it. :) I guess it's a preference thing.
      I find that the soap gets much less icky than in a soap dish (or on the side of the tub), as long as it gets hung up to dry. Although the bar does tend to stick to the yarn once it dries out, it doesn't sit in wet yuck all day. And they make it easy to slip a new bar of soap in with that last little sliver that usually gets rinsed down the drain.

      Delete
  4. I love how it turned out... and it could be used for so many things... not just soap.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was thinking it would make a cute little clutch bag if it had a liner... But it's unlikely that I'll ever do the sewing to make one. ;)

      Delete

Comment moderation is now enabled because of those nasty spammers - Sorry!
Your comment will go through after you click "publish", but it won't be visible until approved.