Just a Weekend Project

  Since the baby blanket I've been working on is a for-sale pattern, I'm taking extra good care of it... And that means when dirt-scattering, coffee-spilling Rip van Winkle is home, I pack it up for safety. Not feeling like sitting on the floor to cut more material for my other projects, I decided to work on that blanket I started - You know, the one where I thought I would get a blanket out of one skein of Bernat Blanket?


  Yes, I bought more yarn to finish it. So it's better to work on it than let perfectly good yarn sit around, right? While I dealt with more insomnia and Rip's snoring at the kitchen table, I sort of zoned out working on the simple granny rectangle. I came back to my senses as the end of the yarn slipped through my fingers. Wait, what? Something that wasn't even big enough to be a decent baby blanket suddenly looked like a lap throw!

yarn, Bernat Baby Blanket, crochet, granny rectangle


  Against what is advised for those with insomnia, I made a cup of coffee and grabbed another ball. (If you have this kind of insomnia, you know you're not sleeping, caffeine or not. Might as well have a cup and enjoy it while crocheting.) Fuzzy yarn euphoria, extreme exhaustion, and loud heavy metal all lent a hand in that next skein quickly disappearing, too.


yarn, Bernat Baby Blanket, crochet, granny rectangle


  And now I have a project so big that it overlaps my dinner table. I wondered... It's pretty heavy as-is, should I keep working to make it bigger? Having a few empty labels nearby, I checked the washing instructions. No way I'm hand-washing this thing! Oh, good. It's machine washable and can be dried on low heat. Sigh. Yay!


yarn, Bernat Baby Blanket, crochet, granny rectangle


  Of course, my decision was stalled a bit by the rising of the sun... The brightening light looked so pretty on the fuzzy yarn, I just couldn't resist taking some artsy photos. Don't you want to jump into that softness and cuddle?


yarn, Bernat Baby Blanket, crochet, granny rectangle


  Okay, now to get on with crochet... I started the last ball, but I never paid attention to how many rounds I got from it. All I know is that I was in a crochet trance, and yarn kept disappearing. Suddenly I realized... This is the last skein and I'm almost out! Here's how much I had left when I started the first short side:


yarn, Bernat Baby Blanket, crochet, granny rectangle


  That's with one long side made already, so it's not time to panic. That bulky yarn can fool you, so I was definitely worried - but not panicking, yet. Nearby, I kept the little scrap I had discarded after a knot. Just in case I need it... It won't finish much, but after working the next long side, it looked like I'd need it. Panic started setting in.


yarn, Bernat Baby Blanket, crochet, granny rectangle


  And it was all for nothing, because I finished the round with a tiny bit to spare! Yay again! I was already having visions of ripping back an unfinished row, and making plans to finish with a shorter stitch. It's always good to have a backup plan when the yarn starts looking short. I'm glad that I didn't need to use it this time!


yarn, Bernat Baby Blanket, crochet, granny rectangle


  So, I have another fuzzy blanket. Yup, I already have the ends woven in, too! While yarn shopping, I spent some time staring at the yarn I need to make my other fuzzy blanket bigger. I finally decided to leave it on the shelf, and just call that one a small throw. After working with a yarn that isn't as fuzzy but is just as soft, I'm banning the furry stuff from my stash. I only had one knot to deal with, and no other problems (like the Furry's shedding) with Bernat Baby Blanket. Soon I'll be putting up a free pattern for this and that other fuzz monster, because they are the same pattern made with two different yarns. But for right now, I'm going to go take a nap on the blanket I finished in a weekend.


Happy Crocheting! 

Comments