Monday, August 17, 2015

May Scarf of the Month: Mayflower Lace






  The Mayflower Lace Scarf uses a modified long single crochet to add texture to the already beautiful Love Knot mesh. Working these large, open stitches in worsted weight yarn gives this scarf a lacy look while providing plenty of warmth. The two-row pattern of triangular mesh creates a geometric design of six-petal "flowers". If you want your scarf to be even lacier, you could skip using the modified stitch and just make the classic long single crochet in its place! Finished size of scarf is 8" (20 cm) wide with border. Length may vary. Example shown is 62" (157.5 cm) long.








  Not experienced in the Love Knot stitch? You can find a tutorial for the knot and how to work a basic mesh here. And even better: Find a whole tutorial for the Mayflower Scarf here! This tutorial will brush up on the classic Love Knot, walk you through the beginning chain, show you how to make the modified long single crochet, and give you tips for the pattern. It finishes with the border, weaving in the ends, and even blocking! Ya'll need anything else? There's now a graph available with an additional tutorial!









Skill level:

*I might be rating this lower than it should be... But with the tutorials and graphs I've provided, I'm pretty sure you can handle it!






Materials:
You can use any worsted weight yarn you like! But...
I used Caron One Pound in Lilac
Crochet hook size I/9 - 5.50MM or size needed to obtain gauge
Yarn needle or smaller hook to weave in ends
Stitch markers *optional* -If you have trouble keeping track of your turning chains, you'll want them!
Measuring tape or ruler *optional* - For consistancy of long loops




Gauge:
In 4" by 4" (10 cm by 10 cm)
4 rows (two pattern repeats)
3 Love Knot stitches across






Notes:
Pattern is written in multiples of 3 + 2, over two rows.

Pattern increases on odd numbered rows and decreases on even numbered rows.




Stitches and abbreviations:
Chain (ch)
Slip stitch (sl st)
Single crochet (sc)

Beginning Love Knot (Beg LK) - Instead of explaining this stitch here, I've written it into the pattern.

Love Knot (LK) - Pull up a long loop to about 1" (2.5 cm). Yarn over, pull through long loop. Insert hook in base loop of long chain. Yarn over, pull up a loop (2 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through both loops.

Modified long single crochet (MLsc) - Insert hook, pull up a long loop to about 1" (2.5 cm). Yarn over, pull through long loop (2 loops on hook). Insert hook from [right to left for right-handed] [left to right for left-handed] behind all three strands of the long loop. Yarn over, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through all three loops.








Directions:


*Stuck in the pattern? Look for links to jump ahead in the tutorial!


Begin with a slipknot on your hook. Chain 2. Insert the hook in the farthest ch from hook, make a sc. Pull up a long loop. Yarn over, pull through the long loop. Insert hook in base loop of long chain. Yarn over, pull up a loop (2 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through both loops. (Beg LK complete.)

Make 4 more LK to complete the beg ch of 5 LK. Make 2 more LK to count as the turning ch.


Row 1:
Make MLsc in 2nd LK from hook. *Make MLsc in next LK. Make LK, MLsc in same as last.* Repeat from * to * 4 more times. (6 "V's" in row)


Row 2:
Make LK, turn. *Make MLsc in next MLsc. Make LK, make MLsc in same as last.* Repeat from * to * 4 more times. Make MLsc in next LK. (5 "V's" in row)


Row 3:
Make 2 LK, turn. Make MLsc in first available MLsc. *Make MLsc in next MLsc. Make LK, MLsc in same as last.* Repeat from * to * 4 more times. (6 "V's" in row)


Repeat rows 2 and 3 to desired length. Example shown has a total of 66 rows (32 more repeats) for a finished length of 61" (155 cm), without border.




You can see in the pictures that this scarf is beautiful as-is, so you can bind off and weave in ends now if you wish. Before you decide to do that, here's a few reasons why I added the border:


  • Contrast. That's it. I just like the contrast of the lacy body with the solid stitches of the border. I think it makes the lace "pop" more. 



  • The solid stitches of the border make a great place to weave in the ends. Usually with a super-lacy fabric like this, I would get out the needle and matching sewing thread to hide those tails and firmly secure them. If you follow the blog, then you know I hate sewing. Borders help me avoid sewing more than I already don't want to.



  • Stretch! This lacy pattern made in worsted weight yarn pulls itself out of shape when hanging. Although it looked awesome when I tried it on minus border (kinda bo-ho chic style), the geometric design was lost in clumpy loops. The border helps the lace hold its shape and stops the fabric from stretching.


  So, if you decide to skip the border, you're on your own for weaving in the ends. I don't cover that in the tutorial - But if you're tackling this pattern, you've probably got that handled anyways, right? Enjoy your lacy scarf, and I'd love to see photos shared!


Now, in case I've convinced you to add it, on to the border:

Find it here in the tutorial!

The Love Knot is a stitch that can vary in size depending on how you make it! My LK might be exactly one inch, but yours might be a tiny bit bigger or smaller. The following pattern for the border is simple to follow. I've simply placed my number of stitches in parenthesis ( ), so if your gauge varies from mine, you can easily replace the number I've used with a number of stitches that works for you.


Working down the length of the scarf: Make (3) sc in the first available LK side-post space. Make (3) sc in each side-post space to the end. Ch 2, make (3) sc in the long loop of each LK across. Ch 2, make (3) sc in each LK side-post space up the length of the scarf. Make (3) sc in the long loop of each LK across the final side. Ch 2, join with a sl st to the beg sc of border.

Bind off, weave in ends.


  This pattern's loopy-lacy design looks great now, but it really looks great after some blocking! If you want the geometric pattern to show, then I recommend that you pin it out after a wash. But again: Feel free to skip that step! It depends on how you want it to look. You can change the appearance of the lace a lot with just a little blocking. Find some tips in the tutorial for how I block mine without pinning!









24 comments:

  1. Jenny, I just hopped on over to say hi, and once I saw the crochet, well, it flooded me with memories. My mom taugh me when I was a little girl. Unfortunately she has been gone for a long time now, but you never forget these things. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about your mom, Mary K. It's great when loved ones leave us with a skill so we can continue to create memories after they're gone.

      It's the opposite for me - My mom's still here, but she never managed to teach me crochet as a kid. After arthritis and surviving a brain tumor that messed up her eyesight, she couldn't teach me when I became interested. But once I learned, my mom started talking about all the relatives-I-never-met that crocheted, like my great-granny. It makes me feel more connected to them without ever knowing them. I hope it keeps you connected to your mom.

      I'm glad you stopped by!

      Delete
    2. Yes, although I don't remember much, the memories of that warm feeling of being loved still remain. She also had taught me how to do lace work, with a small instrument that looks like an oval that tapers off at the ends. Of course I was just a kid, and don't remember how to do it! It's amazing how craft work can connect you to your ancestry! :)

      Delete
    3. The oval instrument sounds like a tatting shuttle to me... That's a craft that takes some skill!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pattern! I love it in lavender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen! The color is part of what inspired the design.

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful. I wish I knew how to crochet. I am so happy that you shared this link on #HomeMattersParty and I hope you will come back and share again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa, I will be returning to the party for sure!

      You can find tons of online resources if you ever want to learn crochet - I'm sure that frugal background will keep you from becoming a budget-blowing yarn addict... Or will it? Lol.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I'd love to see pics if you can share when you're done!

      Delete
  5. very pretty saw it on moogly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty stitch pattern. I think I may try it in a lighter weight yarn - more as a fashion accessory than as a winter warmer,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely, Marsha! The worsted weight does make for a very warm scarf, even with the openness of the lace. A lighter weight would show off the pattern even more!

      Delete
  7. Will be try this pattern very soon. Love a challenge and learning new stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love taking on a challenge, too!

      Good luck, Susan, and remember to use those tutorials if you need them!

      Delete
  8. Thanks you for the lovely pattern!!! I will attempt it even if it says intermediate !!!
    I am a self taught crocheter, so I don'the usually do intermediate, but darn I am going
    to try this one
    Wishing you a Happy, healthy New Year to you and your family!!! Hope you keep up the great
    Work that you do!!! Be safe!!!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy, healthy New Year to you and yours too, Sandra! Thank you!

      And I wish you luck with this project! If you're a self-taught crocheter, then you have this. Once you get comfortable with making the stitches, the hardest part is keeping track of where to make them in the geometric pattern. The graph tutorial is a bit low-tech, but it should help a bunch if you run into any problems.

      Happy crocheting!

      Delete
  9. Lovely! I want to do this the minute I am done with my present project of hairpin crocheted shawl. Thank you. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and bless you too, Geeta! And ooo, hairpin lace... I haven't worked with that in forever... Sounds fun!

      Delete
  10. I really love the lilac. I haven't tried this stitch yet, I hope I'll get to try it out soon, but right now I'm not supposed to be doing crochet. I've been stitching in yarn ends instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through so much torture ;) Seriously though, this is a stitch that produces material quickly, and it can be super-satisfying in worsted. When you're ready, I highly recommend giving it a try.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoyed your time, and feel free to ask questions.