Yarn Review:

  For the beginning of a new year, I wanted to start something new on the Crochet is the Way blog. Wouldn't it be convenient to have a detailed description of the yarn required in a project? Sure, you can go feel a yarn in a store, but how does it work up? Does it twist or unravel? How is it after washing?

  So, the plan was to finish a project, then review the yarn. This week's project was never finished, due to the yarn being used. Isn't that just the way life goes sometimes? So for lack of a project, here's the review:

  I really do love Caron One Pound yarn for the way it feels. Not only is it one of the softest acrylic yarns I have ever used, the price is also unbeatable. I love the large skein which reduces having to weave in yarn ends in large projects.

  Tip: I often hear other crocheters complain that Caron yarns split while working, and this is definitely true. If you crochet tightly, it will split easily when you try to insert your hook into a stitch. If your tension is very slack, the working yarn splits when you yarn over or pull up a loop.
  Obviously, finding a happy medium in your tension seems to be the best way to counteract both of these situations. However, while working with One Pound, I found it best to pinch the yarn slightly between my middle and forefinger. This allowed me to find the sections where the yarn wasn't spun as tightly, before it got to my hook. Feeling a spot, I would just give it a little twist with my thumb against my forefinger, and problem solved. A little foresight  makes working with this yarn so much easier.


  And now, on to my gripe with Caron. This is what I couldn't foresee: Halfway through a skein, out comes a horribly tangled mass. I've untied about six yards of it so far, and I have about twice as much to go.

  This is the third skein of One Pound with which I have had the same problem. This brand surely isn't the only culprit, though. I've had the same thing happen with Red Heart yarns, and also a skein of what I think was Bernat. Could it be me? Could it be The Troll?

  Whatever the problem, I still enjoy this yarn, mainly for the end result. One Pound creates a smooth fabric which is soft to the touch, machine washable and dryable, and durable. As soon as I get this mess undone, you can all enjoy a beautiful new  free pattern using it.

Comments