June Scarf of the Month: Reversible Tracks 'n' Tread


  June's Scarf of the Month has an amazing reversible texture that resembles the tread of a tire on one side and tracks on the other. The Front- and Back-Diagonal Shell stitches worked together as a modified Zigzag stitch make a fabric that's thick and warm with a touch of open work. In honor of father's Day during the month of June, the Tracks 'n' Tread Scarf was designed for men. But I think it woud look lovely in a feminine color, too!







  The version I made was created with one skein in mind, but you could easily adjust the multiple and use a second skein to make a wider or longer scarf. Using the entire skein, mine came out to a finished size of 54" (135 cm) long by 5" (12.5 cm) wide. My Other Half assures me that this scarf is the perfect size for a guy, but I thought men would want a longer scarf. What do you think?






Skill level:







Materials:
Worsted (4) weight yarn
-I used one skein of Caron United in Soft Grey Heather To make a longer/wider scarf, you will need an extra skein.
Crochet hook size J/10 - 6.00MM or size needed to obtain gauge
Stitch markers (optional)
Yarn needle




Gauge:
In 4" by 4" (10 cm by 10 cm)
4 multiples in 5 rows









Notes:
Pattern is written in muliples of 4 + 2.

Use stitch markers for marking turning chains and skipped stitches, if needed.

Chain three at beginning of rows counts as a double crochet.




Stitches and abbreviations:
Chain (ch)
Double crochet (dc)
Triple crochet (tr)

Back Diagonal Shell Stitch (BD shell) - Skip 3, triple crochet in the following st. Working behind stitch just made, make 3 dc in the second skipped stitch.

*For help with the original (classic) Back Diagonal Stitch, click here.

Front Diagonal Shell Stitch (FD shell) - Skip 3, triple crochet in the following st. Working in front of stitch just made, make 3 dc in the second skipped stitch.

*For help with the original (classic) Front Diagonal Stitch, click here.

Begin/beginning (beg)
Skip (sk)
Stitch (st)








Directions:


To begin, ch 20.


Row 1:
Make tr in 7th ch from hook. Working behind tr, sk 1 chain behind, make 3 dc (1st BD shell made). Make 3 more BD shells across beg ch. Make 1 dc in the last ch. (4 BD shells, + 2 dc in row)


Row 2:
Ch 3 (counts as dc), turn. Make 4 FD shells across row. Make 1 dc in last st. (4 FD shells, + 2 dc in row)


Row 3:
Ch 3, turn. Make 4 BD shells across row. Make 1 dc in last st.


Repeat Rows 2 and 3 to desired length. Example made from using entire skein has a total of 74 rows. (35 repeats, ending on Row 1. You can end on any row you like. It won't affect the pattern.)


Bind off, weave in ends.


  I love the reversible texture of this scarf! And because of that, I took a few more photos than I needed! They aren't the best but I don't want them to go to waste, so you might as well get a look at them. The following were all taken while I was playing to compare the texture of both sides:















*Hey everybody! I mentioned in a previous post that I don't like publishing my patterns from the tablet I'm now working on, but still lacking my pc, I did it anyways! Over two days, I think I've edited this post about twenty times - and I'm pretty sure I have it right. But this tablet messes with my eyes (and my typing skills), so please let me know if you notice any abbreviations that aren't correct so I can fix them! After two hours of sleep and too much coffee (no such thing!), my eyes are twitching and my brain is numb. I know the pattern itself has no errors, but I'm worried about those typos - The tablet often fills in whatever it wants instead of the abbreviation I'm trying to type. 

No Android, "tr" does not mean I want to type "tree". Also, I'm not talking about Washington, so dc doesn't have to be capitalized. But Android, why try to correct that if you're not going to use the proper punctuation? It's "D.C.". However, thanks for trying to help. And thanks, Readers, for putting up with me!


Happy Crocheting!

Comments