WBS Blanket Progress: Uh Oh!


What happens when you rush a project... And a lesson in "fudging"


  With only days left to finish this blanket, I messed up again. I swear, if you follow all the posts about my work on the blankets for the World's Biggest Stocking, you'd think I was a beginner. The truth is, when Yarnspirations announced the contest to win $5,000, I started rushing my work to get as many done as possible before the deadline. And this is what can happen if you rush a project, even if you're a master crocheter:



What this looks like is a great stack of squares that are ready for the fourth round of contrasting color, right?





Wrong! If you go back to the last post, you can see that I started out using a smaller size I/9-5.50MM hook to show you how to weave in the tail before working over it. And what I did next was begin working the Navy squares with the same size hook.





My 'J' and 'I' hooks are very similar colors. In the low light of more (and more... and more) thunderstorms, I never noticed the difference. If only I wasn't rushing, I probably would have noticed a difference in the size of the squares. I had them in separate stacks, and never bothered to put them together.





The good news is, I didn't finish the final round of the Red squares yet. And I noticed that I worked the contrasting color round of the Red squares with the incorrect hook, too. Here, you can see that there's a very small difference in size between the centers of the Red and Navy squares.





So, I switched back to the bigger hook to work the contrasting color for the Navy squares. They came out almost the same! Almost.





Because the white border washes out in the photos, and because, y'know... There's another square on top of it, you might not have noticed the Red square underneath in the last photo. Pretty close, huh? 





  I'm going to finish working them this way, then go back and finish the final round of single crochet later. There's a tiny difference in size between the squares, which I think won't matter. But just in case, I'm going to see if I can make up that difference by working the final round in different hook sizes. We'll see... "Fudging" to fix my mistake sure beats frogging them all!


Comments